Speed Traps in Malaysia
The Kejara Demerit Points System is a system where motorists who have been found guilty of traffic offenses are given demerit points, as provided for under the Motor Vehicles (Demerit Points) Rules 1997. It was implemented on 15 April 2017.
The AWAS (Automated Awareness Safety System), integrates both AES (Automated Enforcement System) and Kejara Demerit Points system, in a bid to reduce the number of traffic offenses in Malaysia.
For speeding, the demerits range from two to four points for private vehicles, depending on how much the speed limit was exceeded by. For commercial vehicles, it ranges from four to six points. The first 20 points accumulated would earn the offender a warning; the next 20 points, a 6-8 month suspension of their driving license; the third, an eight- to 10-month suspension; the fourth, a 10-12 month suspension; and the fifth, for a total of 100 points, would result in their license being revoked. It gets even harsher if you are on a probationary license; racking up just 20 points will result in the immediate revocation of your license!
As much as you cannot resist the speed temptation or tolerate the slowpokes on the fast lane, always be mindful that you are being watched!
We have thus compiled a list of AES Speed Trap Cameras located all around Malaysia.
1) KM 376, PLUS North-South Highway, Slim River
2) KM 85.5, Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur
3) KM 205.6, North Taiping
4) KM 301.9, PLUS Kajang Highway
5) Jalan Lebuh Sentosa, Putrajaya
6) KM 6.6, Kajang/Puchong Highway
7) KM 26, Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur
8) Jalan Pasir Putih, Ipoh
9) Old Klang Road, Kuala Lumpur
10) Jalan Ipoh, Kuala Lumpur
11) KM 7, Jalan Maharajalela, Teluk Intan
12) KM91, Jalan Ipoh – Butterworth, Krian, Perak
13) KM D7.7, Sungai Besi, Kuala Lumpur
14) Jalan Persiaran Timur, Putrajaya
15) KM 151.4, Lebuhraya PLUS – Pagoh
16) KM 299.9, Lebuhraya PLUS – Kampar
17) KM 17, Gua Musang – Kuala Krai
18) KM 96.3, Lebuhraya PLUS – Kuala Muda
19) KM 256.1 Lebuhraya Pantai Timur 2
20) KM 288.6 Lebuhraya Pantai Timur 2
21) KM 146.8 Lebuhraya PLUS – Pagoh
22) KM 151.4 Lebuhraya PLUS – Pagoh
Better safe than sorry!